Handbooks & Policies
Acceptable Use Policy
San Jose Prep (STUDENT)
I understand that San Jose Prep provides electronic resources, including Internet access and storage space for students’ work, as an integral part of the curriculum. Behavior and language in the use of these resources should be consistent with classroom standards. I agree to the following responsibilities and restrictions:
- I will use the electronic resources, including storage space, only for educational purposes related to work in San Jose Prep, and not for any personal, commercial or illegal purposes.
- I will use the Internet only with the permission of the staff member in charge.
- I will not use games or other electronic resources that have objectionable content or that engage me in an inappropriate simulated activity.
- I will not give my password to any other user, nor attempt to learn or to use anyone else’s password, and I will not transmit my address or telephone number, or any personal or confidential information about myself or others.
- I will not upload, link, or embed an image of myself or others to non-secured, public sites without my teacher’s permission and a signed parental permission slip.
- I will not make statements or use the likeness of another person through website postings, email, instant messages, etc., that harass, intimidate, threaten, insult, libel or ridicule students, teachers, administrators or other staff members of the school community, make statements that are falsely attributed to others, or use language that is obscene.
- I will not attempt to access, upload, or transmit material that attacks ethnic, religious or racial groups, or material that is pornographic or explicitly sexual in nature.
- I will not violate copyright laws, damage or tamper with hardware or software, vandalize or destroy data, intrude upon, alter or destroy the files of another user, introduce or use computer “viruses,” attempt to gain access to restricted information or networks, or block, intercept or interfere with any email or electronic communications by teachers and administrators to parents, or others.
- I will not use, or create for others, any program to interfere with, change, or interact with programs, security settings, systems, or devices that are the property of San Jose Schools and are used for school-related purposes by students, their parents and staff.
- I will not imply, directly or indirectly, either publicly or privately that any program or “app” I create is associated with, or a product of, the San Jose Academy and Preparatory Schools, nor will I either directly or indirectly associate any such program with any San Jose Schools logos or images.
- I will report any problems to the supervising staff member.
- I understand that my use of the school’s computers is not private, and that the school reserves the right to monitor use to assure compliance with these guidelines; violations may lead to revocation of computer access and/or other disciplinary measures.
- I understand that the prohibited conduct described above is also prohibited off campus when using private equipment if it has the effect of seriously interfering with the educational process, and that such off-campus violations may lead to disciplinary measures.
- I understand that in each classroom I may be assigned a numbered chromebook. Any damage done is my responsibility and the appropriate costs will be paid for accordingly by myself or family. Failure to make just compensation may result in losing technology privileges and withholding of final transcripts.
I understand that San Jose Prep allows me to bring my own devices such as phones. In order to be permitted to bring my own device, I agree to the following responsibilities and restrictions:
PERSONAL ELECTRONIC DEVICES
In the age of technology we do understand that cell phones play an integral part in communicating with others. At San Jose Prep we make provisions for use of cell phones or other electronic devices under the supervision of school personnel. For example, in the classroom when it is part of teacher instruction and in the cafeteria as part of student’s recreational time. However, electronic devices are not permitted in the hallways or in the restrooms at any time. Misuse of these items will result in confiscation. The school shall not be responsible for any damage, theft, or loss of any electronic device brought to the school property or at any school related function.
- 6th and 7th Grade students are not allowed to have personal electronic devices on campus at any time. If a request is made and approved by school administration, the student will have to check their device in with the Front Office prior to school beginning and can retrieve item at the conclusion of the school day.
- 8th and 9th grade students can begin bringing devices to school following posting of grades from the 1st quarter, with no D’s or F’s and no referrals. If a student receives a D or F or referral in subsequent quarters, privilege will be revoked until the following quarter and criterion is re-established. Students who have earned the privilege will get to sit and a designated area at lunch time.
- 10th - 12th Grade Students have the privilege of personal electronic use, however, it is a privilege and as such it can be revoked for poor academic performance, disciplinary action, or inappropriate usage.
- San Jose Schools is NOT responsible for loss, damage, or theft of any devices brought to school.
- I will follow all school rules while using my own device on school grounds and I understand that the rules outlined above regarding my use of school computer resources apply to my use of my own device on school property and that rule 11 above applies to my use of my device off school property.
- I will not take photos or record video of any student, teacher or administrator unless I have that individual’s express permission to do so.
- I will not use my device during class unless expressly instructed to do so by a teacher and I will immediately comply with a directive to turn my device off, to put my device away or to turn my device over to a teacher or administrator.
- I understand that my device may be confiscated at any time and that a teacher or administrator may view contents of my device including but not limited to, texts, emails or social media postings, if it appears that I may have used my device in violation of school rules or this Agreement.